Nature Play SA is excited to be offering an inspiring range of professional learning opportunities for educators in 2020.
These new offerings will provide educators with the opportunity to explore outdoor learning and curriculum connections, the link between innovation, STEM and nature as well as developing the confidence to engage with Nature Pedagogy.
The ‘Wittunga Sessions’ are a series of after school or half day workshops to explore different focus areas for outdoor, nature-based learning. We have also developed a ‘Roadshow’ series of professional learning offerings that come to you. This is a product designed for communities who prefer to work on site or in their local area and can all be tailored for partnerships or school clusters.
JUMP TO: // Term 2 – Week 2 Outdoor Learning in an SA context // Term 3 – Week 5 STEM in Nature Based Early Learning Environments // Term 3 – Week 9 Book Week
Outdoor learning in a South Australian Context
This one-day professional learning event will explore contemporary and innovative approaches to teaching and learning using outdoor learning environments.
A series of small workshops will focus on;
- Embedding the (ACARA) Outdoor Learning Curriculum Connection
- Exploring all 3 dimensions of the Australian Curriculum through outdoor inquiry
- Sustaining engagement through language and literacy in the outdoors
- Creative approaches to maths – bringing concepts to life
- Creating magical spaces for creativity and imagination
- The potential for differentiation in the great outdoors
- Loose parts play and more.
TIME: 9 to 3.30pm
COST: $155 per person + GST (morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided)
LOCATION: Wittunga House, Corner of Sherbourne Rd and Shepherds Hill Rd Blackwood
This one-day workshop will provide teachers, leaders and educators with ideas, inspiration and knowledge to value add to any outdoor learning or nature play experience.
Join us to lead with confidence in outdoor environments and develop a dynamic approach to teaching within all three dimensions of the Australian Curriculum
Term 3 – Week 5
STEM in Nature Based Early Learning Environments
Aimed at Early Learning Educators this session will explore what nature-based STEM inquiry looks like for early learners. Attendees will take away practical and inspiring ideas to engage children in deep and meaningful connections with their natural world.
DATE: Wednesday August 19, 2020
TIME: 4:30pm – 6:30pm
COST: $65 plus GST (afternoon tea provided)
LOCATION: Wittunga House
This STEM inspired workshop will explore practical ways that nature-based learning environments encourage young children to investigate, create, inquire, observe relationships, make predictions and problem solve.
The practical and hands on outdoor workshop will give educators the opportunity to:
- Apply critical and creative thinking skills to promote, capture and further explore children’s natural curiosity about the world around them and their place within it
- Explore ways to incorporate routines and resources to promote STEM-rich learning environments
- Design programs to embed STEM skills and thinking into everyday learning
- Review current and leading STEM and Nature Play research and resources including NPSA’s ‘Learning Outdoors Benefits / Risk’ resource
Term 3 – Week 9
Book Week – A practical session to create your own outdoor learning masterpiece
After a huge success with our 2019 Book Week excursion program, we are offering an evening for interested teachers, librarians and parents to join us and explore this year’s CBCA short listed books. Gain practical ideas and inspiration for outdoor learning and nature-based activities connected to the central themes for Book week, 2020.
This session will suit teachers and educators looking to plan inspiring book week activities within their school or community.
DATE: Wednesday September 16 2020
COST: $65 per person + GST
LOCATION: Wittunga House