GLENTHORNE EDUCATION

 

Glenthorne Education is currently under construction

The Eras of Glenthorne

Pre-1836: Kaurna Country

Before colonisation, the Kaurna people had lived on the Adelaide Plains and nearby hills region for many thousands of years, migrating between the coast and the hills.

1838 – 1910: Lizard Lodge and Glenthorne Farm

In November 1838, the Rajasthan anchored in Holdfast Bay and Major Thomas O’Halloran and his young family disembarked at Glenelg.

1913 – 1946: No. 9 Remount Depot Glenthorne

In 1913, the Commonwealth of Australia compulsorily acquired Glenthorne Farm to establish the No. 9 Remount Depot.

1947 – 1997: CSIRO Field Station

The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) researched sheep nutrition, wool and agricultural production at the property from 1947.

2001 – Present: Community Action

From 2001 to 2019, Glenthorne experienced a period of great uncertainty until community action led to the establishment of Glenthorne National Park – Ityamaiitpinna Yarta.