Birdwatch: calm your mind and ignite your curiosity with learning to birdwatch or identify through their song.
Watching birds can be relaxing and rewarding as we observe these feathered creatures going about their day-to-day lives. When we get to know the birds around us it provides an opportunity to tune into daily and seasonal rhythms that often guide their behaviour and movements.
Observing birds is a powerful form of mindfulness. It allows us to be present, to feel connected to something greater than ourselves. It’s not about their names – but the way we feel when that connection finds us.
If unfamiliar with bird watching let go of any preconceived ideas. Find a place in nature to sit or slowly wander. Allow patience to find you, observe without expectation, and soon your senses will take over.
Check out these resources:
- Adelaide Hills birds Poster (Green Adelaide)
- Fleurieu Peninsula Bird Poster (Green Adelaide)
- Adelaide Urban Birds Poster (Green Adelaide)
- Where Birds Sing and Wildflowers Dance (an SA written and illustrated book featuring close to 700 plants and animals in it)
- 9 common birds native to Adelaide (Green Adelaide)