7. Explore the coast
Explore the coast: improve your balance and agility by exploring rock pools or stick to the jetty and see what you or a friend can spot in the water.
The SA coastline is such a diverse environment with ancient rock formations, colourful shells, and incredible coast and marine life. Check out 8 rock pools to discover in South Australia (Good Living).
Plants and animals that live in rock pools and along rocky shorelines are extremely resilient. To get an idea of the type of diverse life in these environments check out:
- Weird and wonderful things to find on the shoreline (Nature Play SA blog)
- Beachcombing ID Poster (Green Adelaide)
- A beach explorers guide to plants and animals in South Australia (National Parks and Wildlife)
- An underwater guide to plants and animals in South Australia (National Parks and Wildlife)
- Where Birds Sing and Wildflowers Dance (an entire chapter on SA plants and animals in coastal environments)
There are many great organisations that run events along the coast and surrounding areas including Green Adelaide’s Coastal Ambassadors (including a program for youth), Experiencing Marine Sanctuaries, Reef Watch, Nature Play SA, Nature Festival (during October), and National Parks and Wildlife.