Whittle: learn the art of whittling and whittle wands, tools, or other creations.
Whittling is a great way to learn a new skill and can be very rewarding. It takes patience and helps with concentration and focus. Follow these steps to create a wand:
- Select a stick about 15 to 20cm as thick as a finger
- Select your tool (they vary from peelers, rounded knives, and knives with sharp points to carve details)
- Create a blood bubble (tip: your arms shouldn’t reach anyone around you)
- Whittle away (put your elbows on your knees to create a safety triangle). Always whittle away from your body, the blade should glide, if it gets stuck adjust your angle and try again, a glove provides extra protection just in case.
- Sand your wand
- Decorate your wand with paint, string, feathers other nature finds
- cast your spells!
Check out the range of whittling tools available at Nature Play SA and this great book 50 things to make with a penknife.